Monday 22 April 2013

An egg hunt sketch


This month's sketch is now on the Sketchbook365 blog along with some ideas from members of the design team (including me).

Here's the sketch, based on a layout by Gabrielle Pollacco. This was a tricky one for me as the sketch has so much detail, so I'll try to explain how I used it to inspire my Easter Egg Hunt layout. I'm always impressed by the variation of pages that can be produced by different people following the same sketch!


I kept the idea of the two photos in the centre. Then I started misting some lines of butterflies on the diagonal corners, in place of the curled detailing. I wanted to include the torn element almost the same as shown in the sketch.


I collected a few pieces of patterned paper and a piece of acetate to layer behind the photos and made a collection of a few fabric brads ( by Amy Tangerine) and a button badge as a group of embellishments. There looked like there was a border underneath the photo, so I replaced that with a piece of green chevron washi tape.


I kept the title and journalling in the same place and then embellished it a little more with page marker stickers and stamps.


Does that help to show how one sketch became a different layout? There has been some chat about whether sketches with this much detail make it more difficult to interpret. What do you think?

The closing date to enter the sketch challenge is May 16th 2013 and you could win a Mint Julep collection pack from Basic Grey.

1 comment: