Saturday 27 April 2013

A Winnie the Pooh quilt


A friend of mine had a baby boy recently and she loves Winnie the Pooh so it seemed an obvious choice of fabric for a cot quilt. I love making cot quilts for new babies and over time I have learnt to simplify my designs for the quilts so that I manage to get the quilts finished sometime before the baby's first birthday!

This cot shows one of my favourite ways of getting lots of quick detail into a cot quilt, which is starting with a fabric panel that is supposed to be sewn into a book. I measured the "book pages" on the panel and designed my quilt around those dimensions. I bought more Pooh bear fabric for the little squares to go with the book panel.

I stitched the yellow and green check fabric in strips around each panel before stitching it all together with the Pooh bear squares and white sashing. I felt the design looked a little plain when I had sewn all the panels together and I had a couple of panels left with some characters on so I appliqued Winnie the Pooh with his umbrella near the bottom of the quilt and Tigger peeking out near the top.


Then it came to the quilting and I used my walking foot to quilt horizontal and vertical lines and either side of the brown border around each picture. I then used my regular machine foot with a quilting guide to quilt the lines onto the white sashing and around the applique characters. I finally changed the machine foot again for a darning foot and did some free machine embroidery around each cloud that appeared in the pictures.

For the back of the quilt I used some lovely soft flannel ( flannelette)  with more Pooh bears on - perfect for a baby quilt.


I completed most of the quilt before the baby was born as I had a plan to sew pink or blue binding around the edge after we knew baby was a boy or girl - as you can see I went for blue!

2 comments:

  1. Simplify. Yes. Good idea.
    I am still sewing a "birth" cross stitch for my daughter - she'll be 17 next birthday....

    Love this little quilt, I'm sure the recipient will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TiaraHelen, simplfying is something I've learnt the long way round. I'm just finishing off a wedding quilt over 4 years after the wedding and recently gave some other friends their wedding present 8 years late!

      Delete