Thursday 6 October 2011

Machine embroidery happiness


I am looking into starting up a new creative group at my church and so I wanted to start with a little fundraising. I looked into printed T-towels and cotton shopping bags but our church isn't big enough to support the numbers required and it would have been a big outlay for a tiny profit. I got thinking and I was particularly inspired by a pattern for a shopping bag in an issue Mollie Makes.

I have been loving free machine embroidery and I re-watched a tutorial that appeared on Kirstie's Homemade Home about sewing through tracing paper and I came up with this design for a church bag to sell. One thing I like about this is I only have to make one to start with and I'm going to take orders if other people would like to buy one.

You can see the stitching a bit closer up here. I finished the design with a little fabric paint and I printed our church logo onto some special fabric that can be run through the printer and is then washable from Crafty Computer Paper.


It folds up so nicely too...


3 comments:

  1. Love the bag. I'm on the DT for IACW and we're looking for new DT members. Have you considered applying? I really like your blog and what you make... A really nice mix of things. Scrap Dolly is a DT member too and posted all the details. Just wondering and hope you don't mind me mentioning it.
    Mandy McK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestion Mandy. I've got a few projects on the go at the moment and so I'm trying to be thoughtful about applying for DT positions. IACW looks like a great site :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Emy. DTs are a huge commitment as you know. Kind regards,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete